William Franklin Graham Jr. also known as Billy Graham may very well be the greatest evangelist ever. He hosted annual Crusades and evangelistic campaigns over six decades before retiring in 2005.
He was a spiritual adviser to the U.S. presidents from Harry Truman’s time in office. That’s how much influence he had in society leading to numerous lives being saved. His son succeeded him in heading the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association to continue the great work he began.
Here are 68 of Billy Graham’s quotes on being successful in ministry:
- “Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Yes, there are clouds of suffering for each one of us; but God says, ‘I come to you in the thick dark cloud of suffering.’ By faith you can see His blessed face in the storm. God has His plan and purpose in all suffering.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God doesn’t want us to stand still in our faith.” ~ Billy Graham
- “How can you discover Bible passages? One way is to turn to sections of the Bible that focus on daily living. For many years, I made it a habit to read a chapter a day from the book of Proverbs in the Old Testament; which teaches us much about daily living.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Because truth is unpopular does not mean that it should not be proclaimed.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The most important thing I can tell you is that no matter what your past has been or what others may think; God has not rejected you.” ~ Billy Graham
“When will we learn that houses are not homes, money is not security, gadgets cannot bring happiness, and that there are no substitutes in our home life for faith, hope and love?” ~ Billy Graham
- “We can never live this life on the highest plane unless we are continually growing and moving forward. You should be closer to God today in heart, soul, and body; than at any other time so far in your life.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The greatest warfare going on in the world today is between you and God. You may not realize that you’re at war with God. But if you don’t know Jesus Christ … and if you haven’t surrendered to Him as Lord, God considers you to be at war with Him.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Ask God to help you look forward and not just backward. In other words, don’t be bound by feelings of anger, failure, rejection, or anything else. Instead, commit your future to Christ and make it your goal to follow Him every day.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God is so great that even the very smallest detail of the universe is under His control.” ~ Billy Graham
- “You’re not saved by joining a church, you’re not saved by living a good moral life. You’re saved only because of the grace of God in Christ.” ~ Billy Graham
- “I have one message: that Jesus Christ came, he died on a cross, he rose again; and he asked us to repent of our sins and receive him by faith as Lord and Savior; and if we do, we have forgiveness of all of our sins.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God forgave us freely and fully in Christ, and that’s how we are to forgive others: freely and fully. It may be the hardest thing you ever do, but with God’s help you can—and you must.” ~ Billy Graham
“Make it your goal to seek His blueprint for your life—and then to follow it.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God’s will is for us to become more and more like Christ. It is that simple—and also that complex.” ~ Billy Graham
- “You can have religion but not know Christ. It’s having Christ that counts.” ~ Billy Graham
- “One of the Christian’s responsibilities in following Christ is to have a new attitude toward work. So many young people want Christ without responsibility … whatever work a Christian does … he should do his best.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Being filled with the Holy Spirit isn’t a once-for-all event, but a continuous reality every day of our lives.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The thing many of us forget is that you can’t come to God any time you want to. You can only come when the Spirit of God is drawing you. And you have to come now, before it is too late.” ~ Billy Graham
- “You need God. You need Him right now in the midst of the problems you are facing, and you need Him for the future—both for the rest of your life and for eternity.” ~ Billy Graham
- “If we belong to Christ, we also belong to each other; if we have committed our lives to Him, we are also committed to each other. The reason is simple: We need each other.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Yes, pray for healing; God is sovereign, and He is able to intervene. But most of all pray for His will to be done in your life—for His will is perfect.” ~ Billy Graham
“You are a child of God if you know Christ, and He welcomes your prayers. He is much more concerned about our hearts than our eloquence.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Suicide is extremely serious and tragic in God’s eyes … and if someone who is reading this is contemplating suicide, I beg of you to reconsider and seek help for whatever your problem may be.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Nowhere does the Bible teach that Christians are to be exempt from the tribulations and natural disasters that come upon the world. It does teach that the Christian can face [them]… with a supernatural power that is not available to the person outside of Christ.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Once we realize God is in control and He holds us in His loving hands, we can meet life’s dangers and uncertainties with confidence.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The cross tells us that God understands our pain and confusion—but more than that, it tells us He loves us, and He will never abandon us.” ~ Billy Graham
- “No matter how dark and hopeless a situation might seem, never stop praying.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Every Christian should be so intoxicated with Christ and so filled with holy fervor that nothing could ever quench his ardor.” ~ Billy Graham
- “I have never met anyone who spent time in daily prayer, and in the study of the Word of God, and was strong in faith, who was ever discouraged for very long.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God understands you perfectly—far better than you will ever understand yourself.” ~ Billy Graham
“Sin has put us firmly on the wrong path. But because of Jesus, we can be firmly on the right path—and that’s what we need.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God not only knows what is best for us, He also wants what is best for us.” ~ Billy Graham
- “A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and so is our character. Know your weaknesses, and then with God’s help turn them into strengths.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God didn’t intend for us to travel our journey in our own strength anyway, but only with the strength He supplies. I am convinced the main reason so many Christians become spiritually discouraged and defeated is because they have never discovered this truth.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Don’t try to carry your grief alone! Instead, turn to your loving Heavenly Father and ask Him to lift it from your shoulders—and slowly but surely He will.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The love God wants us to have isn’t just an emotion, but a conscious act of the will—a deliberate decision on our part to put others ahead of ourselves.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Prayer is a gift from God’s hand just as much as the Bible, and He has given us the privilege of prayer because He loves us and wants our fellowship.” ~ Billy Graham
“Let us seek ardently the kind of life that reflects the beauty of Jesus and marks us as being what saints ought to be.” ~ Billy Graham
- “Gardens don’t grow by themselves; they need to be tended and cultivated and weeded. The same is true of a marriage.” ~ Billy Graham
- “If anything has been accomplished through my life, it has been solely God’s doing, not mine, and He—not I—must get the credit.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The Holy Spirit gives us an inner, settled conviction that we have been born into a family—the family of God, who is our Heavenly Father.” ~ Billy Graham
- “God has not changed—and neither has His purpose. We are not here by accident; we are here because God put us here—and He put us here so we could be His friends forever.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “God wants to speak to you through His Word, and no matter who you are, the Bible can come alive to you.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “To the great gift of forgiveness God adds the great gift of the Holy Spirit.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “The only really sound marriages are those based on mutual respect.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Some of the happiest Christians I have met have been life-long sufferers. They have had every reason to sigh and complain … yet they have found greater cause for gratitude and joy than many who are prosperous, vigorous and strong.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
“No matter what decisions you are facing, seek His will—for His way is always best.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “God’s goal isn’t just to remove the bad things in our lives; He wants to replace them with good things. His plan is to remake us from within, by His Holy Spirit.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “No pastor is perfect, of course—but if God has called someone to be a pastor and has sent them to serve a particular church, then they should be helped and encouraged in every way possible.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “True prayer begins by seeing God as He really is—and that is why praise should be a regular part of our prayers. When we praise God, our focus is on Him, not on ourselves.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “We all like to be liked—but that can be a very dangerous thing. Make it your goal to live for Christ and be faithful to Him, regardless of what the crowd demands.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “If our faith isn’t rooted in the Bible, it will wither like a plant pulled out of the soil.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Sin breaks our fellowship with God—but it doesn’t end our relationship.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
“When we know Christ, we know life isn’t meaningless, because God has a reason for keeping us here.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “The power to proclaim the greatest news in heaven or on earth was not given to the angels. It was given to redeemed men … Every Christian is to be a witness; every follower of Christ is to preach the Gospel.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Many people turn to alcohol to try to drown the [cries] and longings of the soul. Others attempt to quiet the longings of their souls in other ways. Nothing but God every completely satisfies, because the soul is made for God.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Anger and bitterness—whatever the cause—only end up hurting us. Turn that anger over to Christ.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centered in anything short of God and His will for us.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “The Bible is the only Book in the world that predicts the future. The Bible is more modern than tomorrow morning’s newspaper.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
“The key to spiritual victory is to stay close to God.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Trials and difficulties may assail the life of a believer, but they also have the ability to remold his character and banish from his life those impurities which might impair growth and services.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “Our lives speak loudly to those around us, especially the children in our home.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “There is not a day that we do not have a chance to choose between the devil’s clever promises and God’s sure Word.” ~ Billy Graham
- “The church holds the key to revival. It is within our grasp.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “God doesn’t comfort us to make us comfortable, but to make us comforters.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.
- “We will only pray when we realize how dependent we are on God, and we trust Him to hear our prayers and answer them according to His will.” ~ William Franklin Graham Jr.